SC Disaster Relief – Hurricane Florence Response
- The response lasted for 62 days, from September 14 to November 14, 2018.
- In the initial weeks of the response, 17 of our state DR’s 20 shower/laundry units were deployed. Many were serving first responders, a few served evacuees in shelters, and some were used by DR teams at response sites.
- Our feeding units partnered with both The Salvation Army and the Red Cross for mass feeding efforts.
- Flood Recovery work took place out of four (4) primary sites: North Cheraw BC, Dillon First BC, North Conway BC, and Living Water BC (Longs). These local churches continue to meet needs in their areas even as the formal response has concluded.
- Eight (8) other state conventions assisted in SC: Alabama, California, Georgia, Hawaii-Pacific, Mississippi, Tennessee, Texas (SBTC), Minnesota/Wisconsin
- Directors of Missions in affected associations gave valuable leadership in partnering not only with SCDR, but also numerous other helping organizations and agencies during the disaster and the aftermath: Ron Taylor (Pee Dee), Dan Austin (Chesterfield), Joe Willard (Welsh Neck), Wil Bradham (Southeast), Chris Smith (Florence), and Tommy Richardson (Waccamaw).
- While conducting the response in our own state, we also deployed a limited number of SCDR units (shower/laundry, feeding, chainsaw) to North Carolina (Hurr. Florence), and to Florida and Georgia (Hurricane Michael).
- The response now transitions to rebuild, starting with BCM groups serving Dec. 14-20 in Longs, SC.
Total Hurricane Florence Response in SC (by all responding states):
Professions of Faith 34
Gospel Presentations 298
Ministry/Chaplaincy Contacts 2,207
Volunteer Days 6,922
Total Meals 92,511
Chainsaw jobs 79
Complete Flood Clean-up jobs 423
Temporary roofing (tarps) 43
Laundry Loads 2,384